US $787B Stimulus Package – ICT Initiatives May 1, 2009Posted by Glenn Irvine in Advocacy, Blog, Commentary, Futuring.
Tags: Collaborative View, Economic Enabling Technologies, Glenn Irvine, Innovation Economy, Stimulus Package
Good to see significant consideration in the US Federal Government’s Economic Stimulus Package for ICT Economic Enabling Initiatives.
Here are some of the budgeted Items.
- $30 billion for a “smart” U.S. power grid, advanced battery technology and energy efficiency in government buildings and schools.
- $20 billion over the next 10 years in tax incentives for renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- $15 billion for investments in basic research and development to train students for an “innovation” economy, and in deploying new technologies into the marketplace.
- $7 billion for broadband, including build-out in rural areas
- $19 billion to accelerate adoption of health IT, including electronic health records for the public
- $8 billion for high-speed rail projects.
I also like the use of the term “Innovation Economy”… Definitely a term I’d like to hear used more in Australia.